Skip to main content

some big ideas


James 1:22  NASB

But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not just hearers who deceive themselves.


One of the things I really enjoy and learn from is listening to pastor’s preaching.  I mean I love to preach and share God’s word with others and inspire people to live by faith.  That is why I enjoy the same from others.


Yesterday I listened to several sermons, and a couple of them stick out with some huge points that I want to share with you today.  I pray these big ideas will encourage and inspire you to think big, to pursue God and to not stay the same.


The first is from Robert Morris, maybe my favorite preacher.  He shared a message about judgment that hit home with me. 


One thing Pastor Morris said was this, Our beliefs determine our behavior.


He shared about a man who talked about the importance of giving and said he believed in tithing but was not giving.  It is a fact that what we say and what we do ought to line up.  That really is a big deal.


Another message I listened to was from Erwin McManus of Mosaic Church in Los Angelos.  He talked in this sermon about the dream God placed in him years ago about he church he now pastors.


Here are several quotes from that message that hit me in big ways.


Our greatness ought to elevate the greatness of others. 


Greatness is on the other side of sacrifice. 


The greatness in you is not for you. It is God’s gift to the world. 


The concept of greatness is one I want to understand more because I believe that God places something great inside each and everyone of us.  Yet often we choose things and paths that lead us to be less than great and not to pursue what is great.


He continued…


Everything you say yes to me and you say no to other things. 


Your yes might be a no to your future. Say yes to the things that create your future. What are you saying yes to that is draining your future?


Often our yes keeps us from the best.  He really said be careful what you say yes to because it could keep you what so many great things or even from the incredible dream and future God placed in you.  This is a wow thought.


If there is anything that matters to you, you will be disciplined to get there. 


Visionaries care about the details. Day dreamers don’t care about the details. 


Live your life not just for your dreams but to bring out the dreams of others. 


I dislike details, bet these thoughts are so very true.  I am a dreamer and love the vision that God has placed in me.  But without the details being cared for we are all on a pointless journey.


I will end this e-devotion with one line from McManus’ sermon that I can’t get out of my head.  We can make a great difference in the lives of others.  Let’s impact others on a daily basis.


Our lives are defined by how we impact others. 


Thanks for listening in.  May God use some of these points to make you stop and think as they are doing for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.