Skip to main content

learning from Proverbs


Our family is on vacation.  In these days I continue to take a look back at e-devotions.  I will turn back in time and pass on to you some that still speak to me.  Read and share as you are touched by these.  Pray God continues to use these e-devotions.


The following devotion was from August in 2014:


It was late fall, if I can remember correctly.  Sitting in a room of 30 or 40 pastors who had been soaking up the heart of a champion that has been a great mentor to me.  There were stories shared.  Scripture was read and explained.


Woven within the days of our time together were stories of brokenness and stories of victory.  I recall one of those stories that drove home the point of having little but with great integrity.  It was capped off with the conviction that wrapping our lives in the verses of the Bible will keep us when nothing else will.


Jesus used Scripture when He was tempted by Satan.  We can do the same.  The word of God is powerful.  It was that week way back in the mid 1990’s that I was challenged to make reading the book of Proverbs part of every day life.


This truth within the 31 chapters of Proverbs will ring in your heart and in your mind and be found in the words and actions that form the days of life that you share with God and with the people around you.  For me God has brought many of those verses to mind when nothing else seem to come up. 


I am grateful for the overflow of the Bible.  I am grateful for the wisdom that God’s word flows through our lives.  I am grateful for the transformation that verses of the Bible have brought to my life.  I am grateful for Scripture.


One of those days was where the verses of Proverbs 19 rang true in me, and I’d like to share some of those verses with you as this day begins.


3 People ruin their lives by their own foolishness and then are angry at the Lord.


8 To acquire wisdom is to love yourself; people who cherish understanding will prosper.


17 If you help the poor, you are lending to the Lord—
and he will repay you!


20 Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life.


21 You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.


23 Fear of the Lord leads to life, bringing security and protection from harm.


27 If you stop listening to instruction, my child, you will turn your back on knowledge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.