Skip to main content

sports ministry leaders


Do you know your favorite things?  I do.  Over the last several months I have met some people that bless me and encourage me big time.  Take a look at the picture on this devotion.  Those four men encourage me big time.  One of them I have known for a few years.  The other three I have just men.


Joshua 1:6-7  NLT  

“Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them.  Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do.


These guys are leading sports ministry across the country of Cuba, and their work is having great impact.  To listen to what God is doing through their leaderships amazes and encourages me.


One of the guys has a testimony that caught me off guard when I met him back in May.  Like the relationship between Paul and Timothy, he is a Timothy and is taking the place of the Paul that has led him for several years.  His way is clear, and he is gifted for this work.


Two of the other men I also met in May.  I also met their wives.  They live a long way from Havana and have been working as volunteers before becoming staff of FCA in Cuba.  They have shown themselves faithful, and the ministry they are leading in their towns is leading people to know Christ and to live for him.


The other fellow I met in 2019 when I was with a group that served the sports students at his church.  I was encouraged then.  Now I have spent even more time with him and his wife.


What do these men have in common?  They have lots.  But two things stick out.  First, they are gifted leaders working with sports ministry with a passion to lead people to know Jesus.  Second, they are my friends.  Those things encourage me big time.


Pray for the sports ministry leaders in Cuba.  Alex and his team (Alex isn’t in this picture) are making great strides to grow this ministry and lead coaches and athletes to know and pursue God.


Pray for the country of Cuba and all the needs that they have have.  Ask God to use the sports ministry leaders to meet needs and win the right to talk about Jesus.


Pray for the ministry that is ahead for these men as well for those of us who will be assisting them in so many ways.


I am excited about the trip I just got back from.  I am excited about the future!


Isaiah 43:19  NLT  

For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness.  I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Francis Chan's "Forgotten God" (brand new book)

One of the most powerful preachers, writers and leaders of our time, in my opinion, is Francis Chan.  His first book, Crazy Love , revolutionized my thoughts about God's love as well as my interacting with God.  Now it is time for a brand new book from Chan being released tomorrow, September 1st.  The book is Forgotten God .   This is a phenomenal book about the power that Christians and the church can and must tap into.  All of it is within the Holy Spirit.  Francis talks about the power that was seen in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit began to move among people.  It is true that many have avoided or maybe forgotten what the Holy Spirit is all about.   And like the Savior who poured out His life and blood so we have reason to rejoice, we were made to lay down our lives and give until it hurts.  We are most alive when we are loving and actively giving of ourselves because we were made to do these things.  It is when we live like this that the Spirit of God moves and ac...

inspiration from C.S. Lewis

There are many people, past and present, who get our attention by what they write or say or share.  For me C.S. Lewis is one of those.  He was a prolific writer who continues to grab the attention of thinkers from many different points of view. Lewis first grabbed my attention when I was in 5 th grader, and our teacher, Mrs. Foy, shared The Chronicles of Narnia with our class.  It was a powerful time that this dreamer opened doors to thinking like I had never lived before.  He wrote of faith, of far off places and of strong figures who found their character rooted deep in God. C.S. Lewis was born in 1898 and died in 1963, 7 years before I was born.  It wasn’t until his 30’s that under the influence of his friend Tolkien that he came to be a Christian.  He was raised in a traditional church going home, turned away from God as an Atheist in his teen years and through trying to stay away from God and faith returned to God with...

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!