Skip to main content

who is in the room


Look across the room.  There are some incredible people all around.  I am often, and I mean often, stunned by the amount of things God is doing in the lives of the people I meet as well as at the great people who I get to be around.


Hebrews 12:1  NLT  

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 


Well, some of those people have gone on to heaven.  They aren’t lost.  These have gained their new home, not their wings.  I will my dad and mom.  There are many who I miss and grateful for.


But there are still some incredible people in the room that have made my life so much richer and stronger.  Let me tell you about a few of them (I am relating this to the convention I attended the last three days and some of the people I saw):


Years ago I met a pastor that caught my attention.  It was at a retreat and then at a national event.  Since then we have seen each other numerous times.  He is an incredible teacher and disciple maker in his home area and across the world.  But this older, retired pastor not only knows my name, but he encourages me and prays for me often.


A year or more ago I met a church planter from Washington, DC.  We connected at an event in Georgia and since then have talked numerous times.  This week I met his wife and little girl.  He and his family are planting a church with people similar to the ones we serves and using back2school as a tool.  I love seeing this pastor’s passion to share about Jesus.


Another pastor, who is about 10 years older than me, is one I love to connect with.  His voice reminds me of what God might sound like, deep, strong and confident as well as encouraging.  I met him when we both moved to Virginia about 20 years ago.  I met his dad about about 31 years ago, and that pastor has encouraged me many times through the years.  Plus there are 3 more pastors in their family impacting the world in major ways.


Then there was the pastor’s wife who is so sweet and a strong example in our community.  She called me by name, grabbed my hand and told me she loved me.  Her smile was evident and encouraging.


Another friend… then another pastor from another part of the state… some new friends… I saw so many people in that room.


Grabbing a cup of coffee I saw a young couple I noticed the evening before.  I told the last how struck I was by how she cared for her 2 year old daughter as I noticed her caring for her at dinner.  That conversation led to us praying over this couple who is planting a church in middle Virginia.  I loved hearing their story and about their family.  What a sweet meeting.


Finally as we sat at lunch my friend and disciple asked me to get up from the table go with him.  He led me to a corner of the restaurant where a bunch of first responders were finishing their lunch.  He wanted to pray for them.  I was encouraged.  I was proud of and grateful for this disciple of mine as he keeps on following Jesus.


What’s the deal with the people in the room?  They help me look at and pursue Jesus.  Look at the people around you.  Make sure that the people you are around help you walk closer and closer to Jesus!


Hebrews 12:2-3  NLT  

We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 3 Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up. 


Finally, I ask you to pray for my upcoming trip back to Cuba, December 7-15, where I will be leading a retreat for leaders connected to sports ministry in the middle of Cuba.  Would you support this trip with prayer and finances?  If so, please reach out to me at pastormh@gmail.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.