Skip to main content

how to pray


A sweet friend sent me a message last night that struck a cord in me, and I would like to just share some of the overflow of what I have been thinking about her question.  She simply asked, “how do I pray for for myself?  It seems selfish.”


First, let me say that praying for yourself is never selfish, but I also want to remind us that prayer is vital and also very simple.


Praying is connecting to the one who has all the power.  Praying connects us to God who is the one who loves you more than any one else ever will.  Praying also reminds us that all the is needed because of all that is going on, good and bad, is in the control of our good and gracious God.


Second, let’s think about how to pray.  You don’t have to use big words or churchy type words.  Just pray.  Whatever is on your mind or in your heart.  Let those those words be what you say.


If you are hurting or have questions, ask God to answer, heal and God.  He is able.  You know that prayer actually is the response from us that we believe He is able to do anything.  


Third, pray for those people who come to your mind or who come across your journey.  Often I wake up with someone on my mind, and that I believe is a nudge from God to pray for them.  The person that comes by your during the day is also not a coincidence.  That might be your opportunity to pray for you.


You might even tell them.  Speak up and say “I am praying for you”.  You might even ask if you can pray for that person at that moment.  A good way to tell someone you have prayed for them is through a text message or email or a written card.


Finally, just pray.  Connect to God and speak your heart.  There is no magic formula.  There is no special or perfect spot to pray.  You might have a place or words you like to use, but there is nothing you have to do other than just talk to God.  And listen to Him as well.


I like to use Scripture to pray.  That means when I read a verse I may use that to pray.  Like in John 3:16 I would pray for someone to know God’s love and pray that someone would be saved.


Hope that makes sense.  I am just sharing from my heart.


Matthew 6:5-7  NLT  

When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. 6 But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. 7 “When you pray, don’t babble on and on as the Gentiles do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again.


Just pray.  Connect to the one who loves you most!


Psalm 66:20  NLT  

Praise God, who did not ignore my prayer or withdraw his unfailing love from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.