Skip to main content

praying the Psalms


The Bible seems to come alive the more time I spend there.  For years I have been reading Proverbs on a daily basis.  Those verses come alive.  Some days are more clear than others.  Yet God knows and so many days gives me just what I need in what I read.


Recently I picked up a book titled Praying the Psalms by Daniel Henderson and his organization Strategic Renewal.  Powerful tool.  (Check out www.strategicrenewal.com for that and other resources as well as great content on prayer).  This book guides you through use the Psalms in your prayer time.


Henderson has experienced great moves of God, and I have been encouraged to renew my commitment to prayer and to lead our church to pray more together.  There are some specific reasons why.  Let me try to share…


Often we seek the hand of God.  Meaning we ask Him to work and do so many things.  Then we often miss spending time with God or seeking His face.  If we would seek more of the face of God, we would see more of the hand of God.  Yet by seeking the hand of God, we see less of the face of God.  


Does that make sense?  We want from God, but we don’t want to be in the presence of God.  Or maybe it is just not the priority.  Seek His face and time in His presence.  Then note how you see the hand of God.


In this devotion I will simply give you a few verses to use in prayer.  Pray the Psalms.  Like tell God what the verse says and thank Him for that truth.


Psalm 3:3-4  NLT  

But you, O Lord, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high. 4 I cried out to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy mountain. Interlude


Psalm 5:7-8  NLT  

Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house; I will worship at your Temple with deepest awe. 8  Lead me in the right path, O Lord, or my enemies will conquer me.  Make your way plain for me to follow.


Psalm 10:16-18  NLT  

The Lord is king forever and ever! The godless nations will vanish from the land. 17  Lord, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them. 18  You will bring justice to the orphans and the oppressed, so mere people can no longer terrify them.


There is SO MUCH more out there.  But that is a taste.


Seek the face of God today through prayer.  Powerful prayers of truth and full of Scripture.  Check out Henderson and Strategic Renewal.


Finally, please pray for the trip to Cuba next week and the retreat I will help to host May 5-7 for the FCA sports ministry staff in Cuba.  Thank you!  God is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.