Skip to main content

mother's day and more


What an incredible couple weeks I have had.  Thank you for allowing me a little time away from sharing these e-devotions.  I will try to catch up over the next week with some notes about the trip to Cuba as well as some encouraging words.


Yesterday was Mother’s Day which is one of the most special days of the year.  I have been blessed with a great family.  I miss my mom.  She passed away in 2015.  My mom was an example of so much… loving God and her family, wisdom and serving.  


Further I have been blessed to have a great wife, Julie, and many other ladies who have been examples and encouragements.  


There are so many things about these special ladies.  Here are some of the verses that stick out about godly women:


Proverbs 31:28-31 NLT

Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!” Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.”


Proverbs 31:25  NLT  

She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.


Those verses come from the chapter about godly women, Proverbs 31.  So many great things are noted in these verses as well all the chapter.  So much we can learn about doing good to others and being an example of faith.


These 5 verses are simply the ones I shared in yesterday’s sermon.  I shared from Ruth chapter 1 about the faith of Naomi that won her daughter in law Ruth.  I think there is so much more to that story.  Yet the largest piece is that godly people have great influence over the lives of the people around them.


Another example of this truth is from the life of Timothy.  In the verses below Paul reminds Timothy of how his mother and grandmother shaped his life for God and for good.  


2 Timothy 1:5-7  NLT  

I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you. 6 This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

That is good stuff.  Look at the people who have influenced your life.  Thank God for all of that and more.  Stir what is already inside you and see how God has guided you in the past and will guide your future.  Lean in to what He is doing.


I leave you with the declaration that Joshua made over his family.  May we see the examples and follow them.  May we seek God and thank Him for all He has done in our lives.


Joshua 24:15  NLT  

But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”


Finally, I want to thank everyone who prayed for and helped with the trip to Cuba.  It was successful in many ways.  The sports leader retreat went great, and each family shared how it encouraged their lives.  I was able to visit several churches and preach in one.  One new thing I was able to do was help was disaster relief and unloading containers of donated items.


The people of Cuba and the FCA sports ministry are part of my heart, and I look forward to sharing more.  Also there will be a trip in September, and I would like to take 5 or more people with me to experience the ministry first hand.  Let me know if you would like to be part of that team.


Have a great week.  Remember that God has blessed your life so you can be a blessing to others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you ...

wash feet, sharing hope

  John 13:4-5,14 NLT  So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him… 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. Jesus set the example we follow.  He served.  He valued and gave value to others.  That is why we choose to serve. For 18 years our church has shared an outreach called back2school, and for 16 of those years we have chosen to give students brand new shoes and socks as well as washing their feet.  It is one of the most important parts of this event. Washing feet is a humbling experience where both the give and the receiver learn how to share some moments that might change their lives.  Jesus said we should do this.  See the verse above.  Follow His example, do what He did, and give far more than you will ever know....