We finished our series on the 7 churches of Revelation yesterday at The Community Fellowship. This has been a good series and eye opening for me.
There were a few verses in the letter to the church at Laodicea that I want to draw your attention to. Check these out and lets see what God has to say to each of us.
Revelation 3:20 NLT
Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.
That is great verse to know that God is pursuing us. We use it to help people know that salvation comes only from Jesus. But this letter to Laodicea was written to believers.
This church had pushed Jesus away, and He invites the people and the church to come back to Him. The last part speaks of the evening meal where they not only shared food but spent time talking and building their relationship.
God wants to spend time with us. That is an invitation and is important for each of us.
Revelation 3:17-18 NLT
You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. 18 So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see.
Laodicea was known for being a strong financial center, a place of manufacturing fine clothing and even where medical care and medicine were plenteous.
So why did the letter say they were poor, naked and needed medical? It is because they did not recognize their need for God. It is easy to get conceded and think we don’t need anyone else.
The fact is we must let God in and spend as much time with Him as we can. Lean on His resources. The church at Laodicea lost its thought of what is valuable, what virtues matter and vision for what is ahead.
This letter is for the church today as well as the church back then.
May we learn what really matters. May we value what God values and spend time with Him.

Comments