One of my favorite chapters of the Bible since the mid 1980’s has been Psalm 139. That is for several reasons. Most of it for the last two verses. But there is so much good in that I want to point out a few parts that ought to remind us of the goodness of God.
God knows. He knows us. And He is awesome. The first six verses say this in beautiful ways. He is the one who blesses.
Psalm 139:6 NLT
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!
The Psalm goes on to remind us that God is everywhere and even makes the dark times and places light. We can trust that God is with us.
Psalm 139:12 NLT
but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day. Darkness and light are the same to you.
The next part makes me shout a bit. He knew me before I was even born. He created me and you. I love the verses that say He formed us as we were created. We are reminded that even the unborn are precious to Him.
Psalm 139:16 NLT
You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
And on the the next we are reminded that God’s thoughts are toward us and for us. God even deals with our enemies.
Psalm 139:17 NLT
How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!
And then you make your way to the last two verses of the chapter. A friend marked these verses in my Bible at a pivotal time in my teen years. I had questions and emotions were all over the place. These verses made me stop, seek God and allow Him to work even more.
Psalm 139:23-24 NLT
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24 Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
Let God do the leading and the searching and even the calming of your life. His guidance changes everything.
Take some time to read through Psalm 139, and let God work in your life today!
In a little over a week I will be on the next mission trip to Cuba. Bob Texidor and I will be in Cuba serving the sports ministry team around Havana. Please pray for the trip and ministry in Cuba. Pray for the needs and freedom of the people of Cuba. If you would like to help, please reach out to me at pastormh@gmail.com
Comments