Skip to main content

more to life // Friday E-Devotion

Quote from The Organic God by Margaret Feinberg (pages 15-6):

Even in the mundane, I find myself wanting more of God. Surely I'm not the only person who lies in bed at night wondering, Is this all there is? I can't be the only one who looks at the seemingly rich buffet of everything this world has to offer and loses my appetite, because even with the countless provisions, friends and activities - many of which are not only good but could be classified as godly - I can't shake the sense that there's more.

The hunger growls that there's more of God not only to uncover but to discover.

The hunger cries out that there's more of this God-infused life to live.

The hunger reminds me there's more.

I want to go there. But how do I find the way?


...

Wow! I just started reading this book after meeting the author and then giving the book to our leadership team. The past few weeks I have been asking some questions and probing deeper because of a desire for time alone with God. There is more to life than just the every day same old stuff. God has more to life, abundant life for us.

Our key verse at The Community Fellowship is this:

John 10:10 (nlt) --- The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life .

One of my loves in middle school and high school was singing. It was my first experience, really, in sharing during worship services. I sang with a group of hand selected, gifted people called the Saints. One of the songs we sang that I cannot forget is called "I Want to Praise You, Lord". It is simple, done in a round with beautiful harmony, but it wasn't those parts that I easily remember. It is this phrase, "much more than I do."

There is more to this life. There is more to our family. Better yet, there is more to our relationship with God. As Feinberg asked, "How do I find the way?"

Simple answer as I press on into the weekend is this: spend some time with God. He loves you and desires you. The more time we spend with Him, the more we will love Him. Think about it.

Psalm 63:5 (nlt) --- You satisfy me more than the richest feast. I will praise you with songs of joy.

Psalm 73:25 (nlt) --- Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth.

I desire more. How about you?

Jude 1:2 (nlt) --- May God give you more and more mercy, peace, and love.


NOTE - If you attend The Community and would like a copy of the book I mentioned, let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Francis Chan's "Forgotten God" (brand new book)

One of the most powerful preachers, writers and leaders of our time, in my opinion, is Francis Chan.  His first book, Crazy Love , revolutionized my thoughts about God's love as well as my interacting with God.  Now it is time for a brand new book from Chan being released tomorrow, September 1st.  The book is Forgotten God .   This is a phenomenal book about the power that Christians and the church can and must tap into.  All of it is within the Holy Spirit.  Francis talks about the power that was seen in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit began to move among people.  It is true that many have avoided or maybe forgotten what the Holy Spirit is all about.   And like the Savior who poured out His life and blood so we have reason to rejoice, we were made to lay down our lives and give until it hurts.  We are most alive when we are loving and actively giving of ourselves because we were made to do these things.  It is when we live like this that the Spirit of God moves and ac...

inspiration from C.S. Lewis

There are many people, past and present, who get our attention by what they write or say or share.  For me C.S. Lewis is one of those.  He was a prolific writer who continues to grab the attention of thinkers from many different points of view. Lewis first grabbed my attention when I was in 5 th grader, and our teacher, Mrs. Foy, shared The Chronicles of Narnia with our class.  It was a powerful time that this dreamer opened doors to thinking like I had never lived before.  He wrote of faith, of far off places and of strong figures who found their character rooted deep in God. C.S. Lewis was born in 1898 and died in 1963, 7 years before I was born.  It wasn’t until his 30’s that under the influence of his friend Tolkien that he came to be a Christian.  He was raised in a traditional church going home, turned away from God as an Atheist in his teen years and through trying to stay away from God and faith returned to God with...

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!