Wednesday, May 7, 2008

words [+] Wednesday E-Devotion

1 Corinthians 13:3 (nlt) --- If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing.
 
James 3:10 (nlt) --- And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!
 
Words either pick you up or kick you down.  You have to admit it.  Words are often the thing that crush us more than anything else.  Something that was said or even how it was said.
 
Lets take some time thinking about how we talk to other people.  Often I catch myself being so kind to people I do not know and beat up those I love the most.  Why?  Because those people closest to me know me best, see me at my worst and I think that I don't have to try around them.  That is just WRONG.
 
Our words are a huge part of our ministry.  Plus they are a huge part of our testimony for God.  Think about the things you say today.
 
Proverbs 16:23 (nlt) --- From a wise mind comes wise speech;the words of the wise are persuasive.
 
Proverbs 10:21 (nlt) --- The words of the godly encourage many...
 
Our words either win friends or create enemies.  Our words always influence people.  God has called us to win people to Him, to influence people in His direction.  Those people could be the ones we pass on the street, the ones we sit near at church or at the ball game or even the one in the next bedroom or in the same bed at your house.  It is time to use our words to show people who our God is and how gracious and kind He really is.
 
What do people think about God through what you say?
 
Ephesians 4:29 (nlt) --- Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
 
Ephesians 4:15 (nlt) --- Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.
God, redeem what I say and use it for your good.
 
Proverbs 12:18 (nlt) --- Some people make cutting remarks,but the words of the wise bring healing.

No comments:

pray for your children

The beginning of the school year brings all kinds of thoughts and emotions my way.   My wife, a 1st grade teacher, told our 9th grader s...