Monday, January 5, 2009

interacting with culture '09

John 8:28 (nlt) --- So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that I Am he. I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me."

I have to say that this verse and others like it may have been the ones that made me stop in my tracks when I first became a pastor.  Lots to think about.  Huge shoes to fill or to follow.  God, who has so much more in store for His church and for me, has my attention.  Does He have yours?

We have to get honest.  There are times when I live as though life is all about me and not about God.  Can we get that honest with each other?  Living like it is all about God is where I want to be, where I want to lead to and from, and it is the place where life change, mine and others, will occur.  Think about it.

"The worst thing we could do is follow that familiar advice to 'pray as if it all depended on God, and work as if it all depended on you.'  Rather, we need to become people who work as if it all depends on God - because it does, and because that is the best possible news."  Andy Crouch , Culture Making  page 12

Just started this book, and I am asking some questions that maybe some of you ask from time to time.  I especially want these answers or at least to understand how to impact the people I encounter for Jesus in a more powerful way.  Understanding culture is a huge thing.  There is not a magic process or easy steps, Crouch says, but as we come to have some understanding, we will be able to leave more people thinking about our Jesus.

Here is another quote from the book and an idea that I have long had trouble with:

"Our new regained cultural awareness means that we are not satisfied, as earlier generations might have been, with separating our faith from our "worldly" activities.  We want our lives - our whole lives - to matter for the Gospel."  - Andy Crouch , Culture Making  page 10

If life depends on us, we are up the preverbal creek without a paddle.  Life is all about God.

So, as we enter a new year with all kinds of new possibilities may we be certain about one thing and seeking to impact people for that one thing.

John 12:32 (nlt) --- And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself. (Jesus said)

My choice ... interacting with culture in '09 ... to impact the world and those I am honored to meet for Jesus!

No comments:

interacting with the Word of God

My family is in the middle of a devotion that uses one of my favorite passages in the Bible about the Bible.   These words about the wor...