1 Corinthians 15:58 So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.
(message based on entire chapter)
1. base your preaching on the simplicity of the Gospel (verse 1)
- on that Gospel we will take our stand
- stand on anything else and that messes things up.
- some people have an agenda. Don't take on their agenda as yours or your churches.
- if you take a stand on something other than the Gospel, it shrinks the target of the people you can reach
- there are two phrases that will help you: "You might be right" AND "You don't have to agree with me"
- political issues are the wrong place to stand
- the Holy Spirit calls us to fish, but sometimes we want to clean the fish before they are dead.
- by chosing plotics, we limit our reach and may get shot in the process (sacrificed for the wrong thing)
2. base you confidence on the fact that God chose you (verse 2ff)
- its the Gospel that changes lives
- create an enviornment that helps people connect with God
- don't be side tracked with being edgy and cool
- come humbly in Jesus' name
- leave the trash talk behind
- you are chosen by God, adopted by Him
- see verses 5-10 where Paul said I am the least of these people on the list and by the grace of God I am what I am
3. base your hope that you are part of the winning team (verse 20)
- God loves the church
- He loves your city
- verse 57 says thanks be to God as He is the one that gives us the victory