Friday, May 1, 2009

deceived by envy

I am continuing yesterday's thoughts about envy as I prepare for this Sunday's sermon at The Community.  Have you noticed that envy can creep into your life when you don't realize it?  Then, did you watch what evny began to do to you?
 
Hebrews 13:5 (nlt) --- Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you.I will never abandon you."
 
Being satisfied is the number one thing that will keep envy or kick envy out.
 
I found this devotion from THIS website and wanted to share some with you:
 
I believe that focusing too much on my friend's accomplishments, neighbor's accumulations, sister's accolades, or co-workers' acumen gives root to a practice that will result in a negative outcome. I often remind myself, "comparing my life to others' leads to dissatisfaction."

This insidious disease begins with a glance. That's all right if you can stop it, but beware of the second longing look because it's the coveting spirit takes its prey captive. Now you think you want what you see. Before long, envy sets in. This leads to jealousy, greed, and resentment. Like a disease, desire for that which you cannot have, consumes. It eats away at mind, heart, and soul and robs its host of peace, comfort, and rest.

I know people who live in a perpetual state of dissatisfaction and discontentment because they don't have what others have. This virus has infected me and made me miserable. Due to its contagious nature, my children caught it. I vowed to rid my family of the menacing bug, but it was immune to many treatments. Only one seems to work: CAP IT.
 
(taken from The Envy Virus by Van Walton dated Thursday, February 08, 2007 )
 
Dealing with our money and our possessions brings deception into our lives if we are not careful.  How does envy play a part?  It is when I think I need more and more OR I want what my friend or someone else has.  The only way to deal with this envy and not be deceived by envy is to see what you have and who you are from God's perspective.
 
1 Timothy 6:6 (nlt) --- Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.
 
1 Timothy 6:8 (nlt) --- So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.
 
My prayer is that we will allow God is satisfy us, to give us contentment that will not us allow us to be deceived by envy.

1 comment:

ARISTIONO NUGROHO said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

responding to the hatred

Today I share with you an article from one of my favorite writers and speakers, Margaret Feinberg.   In this article she shares insight ...