Thursday, December 3, 2009

God, give us vision

For years I have understood that without vision from God, I am in trouble and that the ministries we serve will flounder.  But one of the things we don't always remember or get is that real vision comes only when we are sold out, sacrificed to God.  Maybe this is one of those keys:

Proverbs 3:9-10 (nlt) --- Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. Then he will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with good wine.


When it says to honor the Lord with the first of what we have, it is not just talking about our money.  He is also talking about our time, our energy and even our abilities.  We can lead without the blessing of God, but it won't be as successful as it can be.  We can do a lot without God, yet that is not what God intends.  My heart cry is to know the vision God has for me and for the people I get to serve.  But that is a choice. It is not an choice either.  Hearing from God, receiving from God, all that means I must put Him first and honor Him first.  

Here is part of my prayer this week:

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart; Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night, Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word...

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight...

High King of Heaven, my victory won, May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall, Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Yes, that is the song Be Thou My Vision an old hymn.  Those words have run in my heart for several weeks as I have been seeking God about the upcoming new year.  We are lost and in trouble without vision from God.  Join me and pray that God would fill us to overflowing with His vision and we will set aside our own motives and even our pride.  

When put God in first place in our lives, we really can pray "God, give us vision."

2 comments:

becominglast said...

Reminded me a lot of what I'm reading in The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee. Good stuff.

Andy Rogers said...

Michael - thanks for this post. It's amazing how Be Thou My Vision lyrics still resonate with us after 1200 years since it was first written.

Andy

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...