All Access 2010
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
How to Connect with People … John Maxwell
New book Everyone Communicates, Few Connect
Connecting is the ability to identify with people and to people that increases your influence upon them.
1. Connecting is all about others.
· If you will help people first get what they want, it will help you get what you want!
· If you are at the top all alone, you are not a leader. You are a hiker.
· People who cross the finish line alone aren't leaders. They are alone.
· Maturity doesn't always accompany age. J
· It is sad when you haven't figured out its not about you.
· Leaders understand they give up the right to think of themselves first.
· Leadership is servant. That is what Jesus said
· Its not about titles. It is about towels. Only the secure can stoop.
· There is nothing worse in this world than an insecure leader that thinks the world ought to love him or her.
2. Connecting requires energy.
· Some people's idea of progress is moving backwards slowly.
· Look at the inconvenience of Jesus in connecting with us. Connect with people. It takes energy. It is worth the price you pay for connecting.
3. Connectors find common ground.
· Know what the people know. Go where the people go. Participate with what people are doing.
· Great connectors find common ground and then lift people to higher ground.
· You can't lift people to higher ground until you are on common ground.
· The key word is relationships in the Christian community. But in the business community that is not true. That common ground is respect. Find out how to connect with those off your radar screen.
· The incredible thing is you can take Biblical principles and teach it without Scripture and people will hear and respond to God.