Skip to main content

strong words

As we step back and listen, we might learn some powerful things or even hear some insight that will make life sweeter and easier.  It happened like that for me today.  Slowing down is not one of my strengths, but I stopped for a few minutes this morning hoping to gain some perspective.  God spoke.  He spoke through scripture.

Each of us has a filter through which we hear and see and even act.  I am a child of God, a husband, a dad, a pastor and there are many things going on around me.  There you have pieces of my filter.  Through those things and in the quiet, I read this:

1 Peter 5:5-11 (GWT) --- ... Furthermore, all of you must serve each other with humility, because God opposes the arrogant but favors the humble. Be humbled by God's power so that when the right time comes he will honor you.  Turn all your anxiety over to God because he cares for you. Keep your mind clear, and be alert. Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion as he looks for someone to devour. Be firm in the faith and resist him, knowing that other believers throughout the world are going through the same kind of suffering. God, who shows you his kindness and who has called you through Christ Jesus to his eternal glory, will restore you, strengthen you, make you strong, and support you as you suffer for a little while. Power belongs to him forever. Amen.

Humility --- I have heard this quote forever "Humility is a strange thing; when you think you have gained it, you have lost it."  Humility is a choice, and from what this verse says, God blesses those who chose it.

Turn anxiety over to God --- Folks, I need to hear this one often.  When I realize that I am worrying, that is when I realize that I am not trusting God.  That is where I have to stop and change what I am doing.  Give all my worry to Him and all my fears to Him.  He can handle it better than I.

Your opponent the devil ---  Reminder: we have an enemy.  When we chose to follow God, the enemy chooses to come after us.  That is a fact.

Serve each other ---  Often our needs are met as we serve others.  We can also gain perspective when we serve others.

God shows kindness ... will restore you, strengthen you ... support you .... Power belongs to Him ---  Life is all about God.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Believe God because He is able and He is in control.  Let Him work and restore and empower you to be all He made you (and me) to be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Francis Chan's "Forgotten God" (brand new book)

One of the most powerful preachers, writers and leaders of our time, in my opinion, is Francis Chan.  His first book, Crazy Love , revolutionized my thoughts about God's love as well as my interacting with God.  Now it is time for a brand new book from Chan being released tomorrow, September 1st.  The book is Forgotten God .   This is a phenomenal book about the power that Christians and the church can and must tap into.  All of it is within the Holy Spirit.  Francis talks about the power that was seen in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit began to move among people.  It is true that many have avoided or maybe forgotten what the Holy Spirit is all about.   And like the Savior who poured out His life and blood so we have reason to rejoice, we were made to lay down our lives and give until it hurts.  We are most alive when we are loving and actively giving of ourselves because we were made to do these things.  It is when we live like this that the Spirit of God moves and ac...

inspiration from C.S. Lewis

There are many people, past and present, who get our attention by what they write or say or share.  For me C.S. Lewis is one of those.  He was a prolific writer who continues to grab the attention of thinkers from many different points of view. Lewis first grabbed my attention when I was in 5 th grader, and our teacher, Mrs. Foy, shared The Chronicles of Narnia with our class.  It was a powerful time that this dreamer opened doors to thinking like I had never lived before.  He wrote of faith, of far off places and of strong figures who found their character rooted deep in God. C.S. Lewis was born in 1898 and died in 1963, 7 years before I was born.  It wasn’t until his 30’s that under the influence of his friend Tolkien that he came to be a Christian.  He was raised in a traditional church going home, turned away from God as an Atheist in his teen years and through trying to stay away from God and faith returned to God with...

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!