Monday, March 7, 2011

Prayer

We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties.  - Oswald Chambers

Here is the great secret of success. Work with all your might; but trust not in the least in your work. Pray with all your might for the blessing of God; but work, at the same time, with all diligence, with all patience, with all perseverance. Pray then, and work. Work and pray. And still again pray, and then work. And so on all the days of your life. The result will surely be, abundant blessing. Whether you see much fruit or little fruit, such kind of service will be blessed...  - George Muller

Some of the most powerful times in my life have come through prayer.  Some of those were low points where I desperately needed God to show up.  Others were times that I was determined to wait until God moved.  The experiences have been priceless and full of power.

How did you learn to pray?  I have always liked to watch and listen to people.  Maybe that is because I am somewhat nosey.  I will admit that.  But I remember learning to pray by listening to my youth pastor, Phil Dietz.  He was real, simple and understandable.  I remember listening to my dad pray and often hearing some of the same words, yet I knew and somewhat understood his heart and desire for God.  Another person I remember listening to them pray was Cornelia Fowler.  She rented me a room in her house when I was in college one semester.  She could pray, and when she did it was like God was right there with her or with us.  Some others who taught me to pray were Michael Guido, Marty McClain, my kids, some high school friends, Pad O'Neil, and many others.

Prayer is an important piece of the Christian's life.  Martin Luther King, Jr. said that being a Christian without prayer is like being alive and not breathing.  That makes much sense.

The biggest things that will ever happen in our lives need to be attached to prayer.  They have been in my life.  I desperately need God.  I long for Him and to be close to Him.  In prayer I have seen God move in my life and in the lives of others.  In prayer I have watched God calm His children and heal those who are sick.  God moves in prayer.

I am looking for people who are willing to pray.  That is to spend much time seeking God and no just for what you need or want.  These people need to be ready to move when God says move and so much more.  I have been honored to meet with a group of people here in the Martinsville / Henry County area in the last few months in a time of prayer.  This Saturday those prayer times move to Saturday morning at 8am and happen at Refuge Temple on Clearview Dr.  Would you join us this Saturday or another Saturday to pray if you live here?

God is going to move in and around our lives.  And I want to be part of what He is going to do.  How about you?

Jesus is the example --- Luke 5:16 NLT But Jesus often withdrew to the wilderness for prayer.

How we can pray --- Jeremiah 42:3 NLT  Pray that the Lord your God will show us what to do and where to go.

We're not alone.  Join others in prayer --- Matthew 9:38 NLT  So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields."

No comments:

eat this book and share it

Our great, gracious and almighty God desires to feed us His word.   The scriptures are for our good, for us to feed on Spiritually.   Th...