Wednesday, December 14, 2011

more than we know


God is so great—higher than the heavens, higher than the farthest stars.

My wife and I sat in a meeting with our son’s teacher, and realize I might be a little ADD.  That means my attention span is a little short.  On the wall near the door of the classroom was a picture that caught my attention.

The picture was of an iceberg with a comment below about there being more than we know below the surface.  My mind began to race.  There are so many truths about this picture.

An iceberg is an incredible creation.  But it is also incredibly dangerous (an example would be the sinking of Titanic).  The picture is much like the one I put with this post.  On top of the water is what people see most of the time.  It can be huge or small.  But under the surface is so much more.  That under the water is many times larger than what is above the surface of the water.

This is true in people’s lives.  First impressions are NOT always right.  There is more to people than meets the eye or what I perceive.  In relation to the meeting I was in, there is more to my son than the piece of his school life that we were talking about.  In relation to my job and my passion, there is more to the people I get to interact with.  In relation to my marriage and my family, there is so much more going on and so much more good than I often see.

God loves people.  So do I.  It is an awesome honor to give people 2nd chances.  We can offer people love and acceptance when much of the world shuns them and won’t listen for a minute. 

Praise God!!!  He knows what is below the surface.  He knows that there is more to me than what people see and even more than what I see or think.  That is why we need to trust God even more.  He sees further and past all the stuff that clouds our view.  Like the verse above, God can see past the stuff we see to millions of miles further.  God is cultivating in me and in you our potential and greater things than we see or think or can even comprehend.

Literally, there is more than we know going on.  God sees in you more than you see.  He loves you.  He holds you.  He is for you and never leaves.

Where can I go from Your Spirit? 
Or where can I flee from Your presence?  If I ascend to heaven, You are there; 
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.  If I take the wings of the dawn, 
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, Even there Your hand will lead me, 
And Your right hand will lay hold of me.  If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, 
And the light around me will be night,"

I pray that we will give people 2nd chances because of what God is able to do and because of the grace that God has given us.  Our God is the author of “more than we know”.

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...