Friday, December 2, 2011

scents of the season


“Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means ‘God is with us.’”

This is one of my favorite times of the year.  This week we went to our first Christmas dinner / party and another is on the agenda for tonight.  There are things about this season that keep my senses ready for what I hear, smell and feel.

One of the things I’d like to remind each of us about is the reason for the season.  My kids love to get gifts (so do I), but that is not what Christmas is about.  I love the family time and celebration, but that is not what this season is about.  It is about something bigger, better, stronger and something that will last longer than what we can do or have on our own.  The season is for and about Jesus.

Let me give us a few verses to think about.  They are not verses that attach themselves to Christmas, but I believe that the heart of our God and this season make these thoughts so very important.  Read on…

The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.

And I have been a constant example of how you can help those in need by working hard. You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help.

You know my heart.  The reason you and I are blessed is so we can help others and NOT so we can be rich.  I pray and plead with you to give, to share and to lift people this Christmas.  Give others a reason to have hope.

If you are part of The Community church family, there are some ways you can help.  (1) Our annual mission offering is taking during this season.  We will be splitting this offering in half helping those in need in our community and sharing with those around the world through some mission causes we are part of.  Please give!  (2) We are helping some kids who don’t get help anywhere else.  Many of these are teenagers that are in foster care through DSS.  Kids 13 to 18 in foster aren’t eligible for help from other organizations therefore we have several of these we are helping.  This Sunday we will be giving out assignments (if you are not going to be at church, please email me to be part).

Make someone’s day today.  Plan to make Christmas special.  I have several things that I am excited about this Christmas season.  A couple of those are about family while a couple more are about helping some people God brought across my path.

May we be a blessing to people who don’t know the hope and love of God as we celebrate this season!

No comments:

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...