Wednesday, March 7, 2012

powerful word


My wife brought a video home recently that she borrowed from a friend.  It was a movie that many of the ladies of our church went to see while I was out of town several months ago.  Honestly, it was such a powerful movie that I watched it on Friday, then again on Saturday and then finally on Sunday.  That is three times on one weekend.

The movie was “The Help” that told the story of black servants during the early 1960’s and a young aspiring writer.  I’d say this is somewhat of a “chick-flick” movie but it really is a powerful movie that left a mark on me as it has on countless other people that I have talked to since.

One simple line from this movie is one I was touched by.  This line is a powerful word that might change the life of the person you use it with.  Remember that the words we use make a difference in the lives of the people we are around.  Our words can tear people a part or they can build people up.  It is so important than we check what we are saying and how it is being heard by others.

As Abileen knelt in front of the child she cared for, these words rolled sweetly off her lips: You is kind, You is smart, You is important.  Simple words but huge message. 

I’ve told my kids these three things many times since I watched the movie, but I’ve also spent much time thinking about the words we use with other people.  Be challenged, as I have been, to use words that make a difference in people’s lives.  I am not talking about the words that cut but words that build.  Far too often in anger or in pain we spew poison in what we say. 

This caregiver made a difference in that little girl’s life.  Even with hurtful things being said and tough situations she continued to share those words.  May God use us to build up our children, our families, our neighbors and co-workers and countless others.  Check the words you use and the way you say them.  May God help us have a powerful word for those in need!

So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.

And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!

Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...