As a teenager I remember being asked to be part of the core group of my youth group. That was awesome. It wasn’t about being something special or part of the in-crowd. For me it was about being part of leading others to see the reality of God. Many of that core group are now in ministry thanks to Phil Dietz, our mentor and friend and youth pastor.
I learned much from that group, or community, and what I cherish most is learning what a core is all about.
Think with me about the core of what we believe and who we are. At the new church, we are sharing our core values and the stuff that all we do will be built on. That is what I want to share with you today because these 7 things have been a huge part of my thinking, praying and studying the past months. Lets take a look:
“He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.” John 3:30 (NLT)
“Think of ways to encourage one another to outbursts of love and good deeds.” Hebrews 10:24 (NLT)
1. We seek to create a COMMUNITY where people exalt God, influence others & encourage one another. Acts 2:43ff
2. We share our message that has RELEVANCE to where people are living and that changes lives. John 14:6, 1 John 1:10
3. We create an environment of ACCEPTANCE where people will hear the truth feel safe & at home learning God’s love. Romans 14:3 and 15:7
4. We use CREATIVITY because God’s church should be the most creative institution on earth because we have the greatest message to share. 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
5. We seek to be real through AUTHENTICITY of being who God made us to be laying aside anything that keeps people from seeing Jesus. Hebrews 1:3
6. We desire to experience UNITY as a result of knowing God sharing in the vision and growing in Christ. Philippians 2:1-5
7. We seek to raise EXPECTATIONS by lifting levels of commitment, holding each other accountable and experiencing God’s best. 2 Corinthians 8:5
God, help me and others keep our real values at our core. Let us lead many others to see and hold tight to what you value and say is important. Make sure our core is built on the stuff that pleases you and adds your purpose to our lives. You’ve made a difference in me, and I want you to make a difference through me for others. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
This is a POST from the archives of Michael Harrison's E-Devotion and was first posted on January 3, 2007.
My family is in the middle of a devotion that uses one of my favorite passages in the Bible about the Bible. These words about the wor...
Psalm 116:15 NIV Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful servants. This past Friday was one of those da...
Proverbs 14:31 NLT Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but helping the poor honors him. Our mission statement at The...
Hebrews 12:2 NLT We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith . Because of the j...