Thursday, September 20, 2012

my hero


There are all kinds of heroes.  Some of them wear a jersey and do amazing things with a basketball or football.  Other heroes will take on all different forms depending on the time they lived, in the present or in history long ago.  Many heroes are those who have fought for our freedom as Americans. 

I remember the movie Robin Hood and how powerful of a picture it was to me.  The image of a man of common rank doing so much for a people with great needs was an image of a hero that has long since stuck in my mind.  This is the type hero that seems will leave a bigger legacy than a basketball star would.

As we get older our heroes tend to change.  They change from the kind of person they are and from the type of work or impact they had.  Our heroes change as our spiritual lives change too.  The world glorifies the people who party and those who get ahead by cheating or hurting others.  Yet God lifts those people who stop thinking of themselves and start to serve others.

That means Jesus is the perfect hero.  He was perfect and gave his life for yours and mine.  There are other heroes of the Bible that we talk about often: Daniel and the lions den, David who killed the giant named Goliath, Paul whose missionary journeys changed much of the world, and many more.

The heroes in my mind are those who are leaving marks on this world who will far outlive their lives.  These are people like Billy Graham, Mother Teresa, Matthew Barnett, Matthew Hendry, Steve Anderson, Grace Tucker and many more (some you know and some you don’t).  These people have reached out to those near them who are in pain and struggling.  I believe that God has given us abilities and resources so we can share them with others.

Heroes share what they have with others. Who would call you a hero and why?

Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love. --- Mother Teresa

Use what you have for the good of others and watch how fast God will bless your life.  Waste what you have on yourself and watch how fast your blessings are gone.  I am praying that from those of you who read this that God will raise up many heroes.  Heroes who will feed the hungry.  Heroes who will help those who are hurting.  Heroes who will give what they have for the good of others.

The godly people in the land are my true heroes! I take pleasure in them!

For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home.

Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.

No comments:

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...