Wednesday, September 12, 2012

some of yesterday's conversations


I like to talk.  Most of you are not surprised by that, but my wife called me out yesterday on this fact.  But then our talk continued.  It was pretty sweet.

What a HUGE difference a day makes.  One day may seemingly be full of stress with conversations and even blood pressure off in one direction, and the next day the conversations are positive and blood pressure is pretty close to normal.  Life is interesting and not boring around us.  Sometimes it is good, and sometimes it is tough.

But as I look back at the conversations, I see God working in excellent ways.  God is able to do so more much than we give Him credit for.  He can heal.  He can straighten what is crooked.  He can inspire those who haven’t had excitement in a long time.  He can take our sadness and depression and turn them into joy or maybe even a little dancing.  That is where the conversations come in.

The words of the godly encourage many, but fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense.

Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

The conversations actually started the evening before.  My phone rang, and it was one of our men from church whose marriage has been falling apart.  He called to tell me that God is working things our between him and his wife.  Praise God!

Some conversations aren’t audible.  I received two notes on FaceBook asking for prayer.  Both requests are from people I don’t know well.  Both situations are critical.  What an honor to pray for them and to seek God with them for the needs in their families.

Do you ever worry about conversations?  I do.  But when God shows up, He works in awesome ways.  I saw that happen a couple times as God answered one request before I had the opportunity to ask, and another was clarified through a long conversation.

Late in the day a friend was close by for a meeting and stopped in to talk.  This conversation needed tissue to wipe away the tears because of the pain that was discussed.  In that conversation I was able to remind this precious friend that God had filled their life with potential and that God’s love never ends.  That is powerful truth.

My oldest daughter sat down next to me and asked a favor.  After I answered her request, we talked for just a couple minutes.  It was so cool.  I see hope and strength in this child’s eyes, and I love the fact that she is enjoying life.  Hearing my kids laugh, seeing them love and watching them enjoy life is so awesome.  Our conversation was just a small but revealing piece of that.

During the day I had a conversation with my wife.  Remember?  She called me out on me being a talker.  She is so right, but the conversation we shared spilled over from a movie we saw this weekend.  This lady I am married to is sweet and wise.  If I listen more than I talk, I learn so much.

Conversations are important.  Don’t waste your words.  Share your heart.  Let God use your words to build others up.  Talk to people about the potential they have in their lives.

Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.

I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart; I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power. I have told everyone in the great assembly of your unfailing love and faithfulness.

No comments:

responding to the hatred

Today I share with you an article from one of my favorite writers and speakers, Margaret Feinberg.   In this article she shares insight ...