Wednesday, October 10, 2012

wisdom leads in the right direction


God gave us the Bible, His word, to guide us in the right direction.  One of my favorite places in the Bible is Proverbs as it often gives me tangible pieces of wisdom that help me live and lead.  I have seen God’s grace as He has spoken directly into a situation, or a need or a request through what I have read or heard.

I’d like to share some of the things that God spoke to our church leaders in a meeting this week.  These are power words from Proverbs 15

Proverbs 15:4 NLT
Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.

Lee reminded our team that we must be people who err on the side of grace and make sure we build people up with our words.  We have the opportunity to help or hurt people as we speak.  God calls us to encourage others, and our words are a great place to start.

Proverbs 15:1 NLT
A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.

Jennifer reminded us that the places we are most comfortable are often the places where we let our guard down.  That means we need to guard against becoming angry or letting ourselves be drawn into being mean or hurting the people closest to us.


Proverbs 15:17 NLT
A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate.

Some of our team recently did the 21 Day Daniel Fast that is all about vegetables.  We could really understand what this verse is about.  Often when we realize what our place in life is and we trust God there is incredible insight and peace that comes from God.  It is better to have very little and have God’s blessing rather than eat like a rich person and have nothing.

Proverbs 15:22 NLT
Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success.

This was one of the places that I wanted to dwell with our team.  What came out of some of their mouths was amazing.  Instead of me speaking into their lives, which I did, they spoke into my life and into my heart.  Friends, we fail when we don’t listen to or take into account what the wise people in our lives says.  God uses those people to teach us.

Proverbs 15:33 NLT
Fear of the LORD teaches wisdom; humility precedes honor.

I end with this thought.  Often we meet people who are self-confident or even arrogant, and those people become what they are when what they say doesn’t happen.  They become fools.  It is the people who seek God for wisdom that are humble and who God will honor.  I have seen this in other people and in my life.  God will give us the confidence that we need, yet we need to check ourselves and make sure our confidence is based on the Savior and not in our ourselves.

Leading isn’t easy, and it is often lonely.  That is why we have to seek God, press in to hear and see God in our daily lives.  We also have to intentionally love and lead others.  Watch God work when His hand is on your life.  That is what some people would call your “sweet-spot” which is a cool and real place.  I pray that you will find it and stay that.  I pray that for myself and for the people I serve with.  I am grateful for each of them and what they teach me. 

God has great things ahead.  I can’t wait to see what He has for us in the future!

No comments:

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...