Thursday, May 9, 2013

MILESTONES


But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve.  Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates?  Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live?  But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.

Today I am going to share with you some of the milestones that are happening around our family.  It is amazing to watch my family and to see them grow in awesome ways, especially to see them grow spiritually and closer to God.  Hope you don’t mind, but I’m going to take this day as a point of personal privilege to share some milestones we are going through this week.



The week began with our oldest, Rebecca, having her 16th birthday.  Well, it seems like not many days ago that Julie and I were ready for life to get more interesting.  One day in the fall we were out in the yard racking leaves, and we looked at each other and said we need to have a kid who would rack the leaves for us.  By the way, Rebecca has never racked leaves.  But she has done so much more.  Our first born is an exceptional child who makes great grades in school, she is committed to the color guard and the marching band, she is a great friend and choses friends well, and Rebecca has learned to balance things well.  I am so proud of her and can’t believe that she is 16 years old.

This coming weekend my precious wife will be awarded another diploma, but this one says master on it.  She has taken another step in her career by going back to school to get a master’s degree.  For many years she has taught preschool and blessed lots of young children each year.  But as she would say God directed her to move forward, and with a 3.9 GPA from Liberty University she will graduate this weekend.  I’ve learned a lot about teaching and education as I have read and proofed papers and listened to what Julie was reading.  I feel like I have gotten another degree as well, but she did the work and did it well.  I am proud of Julie as well.  What an incredible wife I have been blessed with, and this is our 20th year together.

Don’t forget that this coming Sunday is Mother’s Day, and that is an important time.  Let the ladies in your life know how special they are.  It also means that our church family celebrates with our Mother’s Day Car Care Clinic.  About 75 ladies will have their oil and filter changed in their car.  Many of them will recieve a seated chair massage.  Our free community meal and clothes closet happens at the same time.  It is always a sweet time of sharing the love of God with the people God sends our way.  To see our church family serve and work hard is so awesome.  I pray that God will open even more doors where we can meet needs and share Jesus.

Plus I have a great mother.  Judy Harrison has three sons, and I am the youngest.  I didn’t say that I am the favorite son.  I’ll leave that to her, but I will say that my brothers and I are so blessed.  My mom raised me to know God and to love life.  I love you, mom, and am blessed that God placed you in my life.  Happy Mother’s Day.

It is a week of milestones.  And there are more to come as our church aquires a new building, as people continue to follow Jesus and as more people come to meet Jesus.  Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed.  Along the way there will be milestones.  Enjoy them and share with others.

God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

No comments:

interacting with the Word of God

My family is in the middle of a devotion that uses one of my favorite passages in the Bible about the Bible.   These words about the wor...