Friday, May 10, 2013

my mom inspires me



There will be something to do, or homework, if you continue reading.  But you will be helping me prepare this Sunday’s sermon at The Community Fellowship.  Want to help?  Then read on.

If you honor your father and mother, “things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.”

My mother inspired me.  Did your mom inspire you?  Think about that because that is the homework I’d ask you to share with me.  Praise God that He created us and placed us in relationships.  The people we connect with influence our lives.  Some people influence us in good ways, and some people influence us in bad ways.

I am not here today to ask if you had a horrible childhood or to talk about what you wish your family was like.  I hear stories often of people who came through very difficult situations at home, with their family or parents and beyond.  One that sticks out in my mind and hurts my heart is a teen who attends our church and has not been able to live at home in several years.  One of this teen’s friends families had the teen move in with them.  It is a sad story, yet God provided strength in the middle of struggle.

Lots of people have inspired me.  Pastors.  Friends.  Co-workers.  Teachers.  Writers.  Neighbors.  And many more people inspired me and poured into my life, but none of them were as big of an inspiration in my life as my dad and mom.  I have fond memories and am who I am today because of the building, loving and sacrifice of Richard and Judy Harrison.

My mom is a strong woman, and if I was to make a list of how my mom influenced my life, the list would be way too long for me to share with you plus I couldn’t get very far due to all the crying.  Yes, I am a crier because I am so blessed.  My mom was and is a living example of the love of God.  I have great memories of my mom enjoying life with her friends when I was young.  Those ladies that I got to know were from church and enjoyed spending time with my mom.  I think one of the reasons why I enjoy friends is because of what I learned from mom.  My mother has a sense of humor, and those of you who know her need to get her to tell you some stories (I might regret this) because you will laugh.  You might not be able to stop laughing.  My mom is also a supporter, prayer warrior, fighter, counselor, listener, giver and encourager that I cannot live without.

So, let me ask you, and this is your homework…

Fill in the blank: My mother influenced my life by ____________________________. 

Send an email to info@thecommunityfellowship.org with what you put in the blank.  Share with me a story or two.  Tell me how your mom influenced your life in a positive way.  I look forward to learning much, inspiring others to follow the example of great moms and celebrating the special ladies that God has put in our lives.

Judy Harrison, thank you for being an incredible mother.  I love you and cannot wait to see you soon.  Happy Mother’s Day to you!!!

Julie Harrison, you are an incredible wife and mother.  Thank you for loving and shaping our children and sharing life with our family.  I love you.  Happy Mother’s Day to you!!!

That is enough for now.  Do your homework.  Send me an email telling me how your mom has influenced your life.  I can’t wait.

I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you.

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...