Monday, June 3, 2013

the words we use


As I have been preaching through a series about our homes I am heart broken when I hear about people who have been beaten down by the people closest to them. This verse stood out to me a couple weeks ago…

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.

I am a Christian, a follower of Jesus.  My desire is to honor God.  I am a dad, a husband and I love my family.  That truth makes me want to stop and think is my words and actions actually meet what I say about God and about helping may family.  Examine your words for a few minutes.  There are times when we just let things slip.  We don’t hold back.  We don’t honor God.  Things have got to change.  Honoring God is important.

Whatever we look at for a long time we will be what you become like.  What we spend time with we begin to love.  What we say is a portrait of what is in our heart.  It is also an indicator of what is going on in our lives.  Do we belong to God?  Do we care about people?  Are you honest?  Do we give life or death to others?

God has much to say about the words we use.  I’d like to give you a glimpse at what God says through the Bible ….

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.

Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.

Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips!

The words we use are a big deal.  God said it is true.  That is why we have to take it serious.  Take our words serious.  As a dad my kids need to hear good and blessings and honesty from me.  What I say in my home matters.  That is the place where we normally let our guard down and will hurt more people than anywhere else.  That should not be. 

Go find the HAWK NELSON song WORDS and be ready to be inspired and convicted.  Our words are important 

Words can build you up.  Words can break you down.  Start a fire in your heart or put it out.  Let my words be life.  Let my words be truth.  I don’t wanna say a word unless it points the world back to you!...

If you want what God wants, you are going to do what God wants you to do.  You will want your words to point people to Jesus and nowhere else.  I pray that we will believe what God says, allow God to transform our lives, and I promise you when those two things happen the people around us will see Jesus through the words we use.

The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking; the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words.

It is our words that hurt people or help people.  I close today by asking you to hold on to the next two Bible verses.  Make them your promise and your prayer so that the words you use will point people to God!

But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

No comments:

pray for your children

The beginning of the school year brings all kinds of thoughts and emotions my way.   My wife, a 1st grade teacher, told our 9th grader s...