Thursday, September 5, 2013

dare to dream


Standing on an elevated platform 400 feet in length with a metal roof overhead I took in what I saw, what I heard and what was deep in my mind and heart.  I stood there for what seemed like hours, but it was really a small bit of time.

I moved to the opposite side of the property.  This time standing on a brick and mortar platform I gazed across a couple parking areas and a large field.  The sites and sounds seemed to be far out in the country, yet those sounds gave way to a big truck gearing down on a near by road or an ambulance with sirens blaring heading off to help someone in need.

In both places I remember the prayers and dreams of others.  I remember the pain of the people who have crossed my path over the last few years.  They all resonate in my heart.

In either location it became evident to me that what God had in store for our church and the people I work with is bigger and stronger than anything we’ve seen to this point.  That scares me.  But that invigorates me to no end.  I am excited about the space God has prepared ahead, but what I am really passionate about are the lives that will never be the same because somebody shows that they care.

I slipped out during the night, taking only a few others with me.  I had not told anyone about the plans God had put in my heart for Jerusalem.  We took no pack animals with us except the donkey I was riding.

Nehemiah had something that God put in His heart.  It was a passion for what moved God and for what God is about in the world still today.  God’s passion is people.  It is not in money, in products or in empires built by men.  Nehemiah saw the need for something to happen. 

Before the verse above happened there were blood, sweat and tears of begging God to restore people who are living in poverty and in pain.  Have you ever been there?  God’s people in Jerusalem who were at one time mighty and successful, yet what stood in front of most of their homes was the rubble of the walls.  The walls literally symbolized what was happening in the lives of God’s people.

I’ve seen the same in the people we deal with on a daily basis.  I’ve met some people who when you look in their eyes there is passion to make a difference, to love people and to be part of something bigger than what they can do alone.  I look in the eyes of other people who are hurting, hungry and homeless, and I see that with the love and care of God lives will be changed.  That is a big change.  That is a God sized change.

If you don’t love something, you’re not going to go the extra mile, work the extra weekend, challenge the status quo as much.  --- Steve Jobs

That is an incredible statement.  Throughout history there have been many people who have made a difference in the lives of other people.  There have also been people who have accumulated great wealth and power, but I want to suggest that those who make the biggest difference focus their influence on people and not on things.

I see and seize the things that God put in my heart because my heart breaks when I see people going in a direction that is destructive.  My prayer is that God would empower His people and give us the resources to rebuild the lives of broken people.

That is my dream.  This is the vision that God birthed in my heart and in hearts of people all over the world.  We are no better than anyone else, but we simply are willing to set our agendas aside for what God will do in the lives of people who look toward Him.  What an awesome thing to be part of something bigger than me or even than us!  I simply want to be part of a group of people who want to do what God has called us to do.  I want to share the dream and to help others dream.  This is a strange group of people.

Here’s to the crazy ones — the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things. They push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do. --- Steve Jobs

Did you catch that last part about dreaming and following your dreams?  “The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world are the ones who do.”  That is the group that I want to be part of.  Dare to dream.  Dare to step out of the status quo.  Dare to be a rebel with a cause.

Take what God put in your heart and do something with it.  Make a difference in the world around you.  Join the people around you with similar passion and seek to make a difference.  And the world will never be the same as we dare to dream.

Without prophetic vision people run wild, but blessed are those who follow God’s teachings.

No comments:

pray for your children

The beginning of the school year brings all kinds of thoughts and emotions my way.   My wife, a 1st grade teacher, told our 9th grader s...