Tuesday, October 15, 2013

definitions



Go with me for a few minutes on a trip.  We are not visiting the library in our local community.  Nor will we be talking with Mr. Webster or any of the other smart people who researched all the words in the entire world.  My plan in this post is simply to give you some definitions of stuff that flows through my mind (that might scare some of you, but you are safe).

Let’s dig in.  Listen up.  Think a bit.  Disagree if you must.  But these are just a few of my thoughts.

POTENTIAL

This is what is in every person I meet.  It is the God given possibilities that are real, but often potential hidden behind fear, regret, past actions or failure.  Calling out the potential in the people we meet is a great commitment I have made.

COMMUNITY

I first allowed this word to get inside my heart and mind about eight years ago.  It is not about where we live.  It is about the people we share life with.  We build community by being real, sharing life and allowing people to take part in your life, your worship and your passions.

LOVE

I will leave this one as simply the “God kind of love” which is unconditional.  It is to flow from God to us and on to others.

VALUE

This is what I desire to add to the people I come in contact with.  Whether it is my family or co-workers that I deal with on a daily basis or the people I casually meet at the store, it is my heart’s desire to add value to the people I am around.  And God is the one who establishes what has value.

ESSENCE

The last definition really is not a definition at all.  It is what I desire.  I desire to spend time with and get to know the essence of who my God is.  It is much like getting to know my wife.  It takes time to get to know her character, what she likes and what is important to her, but knowing these things will allow me not only to know her but to serve her as a good husband should.

I am not suggesting that neither you nor I should change the actual definitions of these words.  Yet I do challenge us to find the things that make us tick, that we are passionate about and use them to do great things. 

John 14:31  NASB
but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let us go from here.

When he discovered a pearl of great value, he sold everything he owned and bought it!

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...