Thursday, February 13, 2014

snow day


Yes.  I prayed for snow and love snow.  One of the things I don't like is all the school that the kids have missed year, yet the snow that we have gotten since 1pm Wednesday afternoon is incredible.  It really is beautiful.

Wouldn’t let us miss a day of e-devotions, but I figured I’d give you a play by play of what our snow day might be like.  No, this won't be a spiritual diatribe of what a believer ought be doing when the weatherman is right about a super snowstorm.  This is a personal look at the Harrison how and some of what I am thinking.  Here you go (maybe this is a warning to look away if you must):

The Lord replied, “Look around at the nations; look and be amazed! For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn’t believe even if someone told you about it.

When the snow began, it was like the flood gates opened with a white wave of fluffy blowing goodness.  Within 45 minutes the ground was holding tight to the snow and cars began to be covered.  The roads were slick when I left the church and drove home.  People were already sliding all over the place.

Reports were being heard about stranded motorist and horrible road conditions as the snow piled up … 1 inch, then 2 and on to more and more snow (at the writing of this post we have had about 6 inches of snow at our home with more coming).

My heart is heavy, as always, for the people who are cold, hungry and hurting.  Yet I hear stories of kind people doing great things.  I am grateful that our community has lots of kind people willing to stop and help people in needed.

As I arrived at home our middle daughter had baked chocolate chip cookies (oh my, they were good).  Through the rest of the evening we watched the Olympics and then ate dinner as a family.  We are preparing for a full snow day.

This day will consist of sleeping in, interacting with family, reading, resting, playing in the snow, making and eating snow cream (snow based ice cream: 4 cups of snow, 1 cup cream or mild, ¼ cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla), and much more as a family.  We look forward to days like this where we can kind of block out the world, enjoy some quiet, take in the beauty of a snow day and gain some perspective on our lives and God’s blessings on our lives.

“Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.”

When I was young, my dad and I would load up the car (around 1980 or so) and head to Littleton, Colorado where my g-ma and g-pa lived.  It was always fun seeing something we don’t get much of… snow.  Most of the trips were at spring break, but we visited during the summer as well.  I remember playing in the snow in July as well as shoveling snow, or more like playing in it, with two or three feet of fresh snow.  It was bright and cold.  It went on for days and days, miles and miles it seemed.

I loved the snow, but there is a time for it to be gone.  We need variety to change things around us or to give us a new look at life.  In conversations this week I was reminded of the definition of insanity.  It is when you do the same thing over and over while expecting different results.  Thus, if you want something different, you have to do something different.

I pray that God will keep us warm and safe.  I pray He will open our eyes to the people who are in need and help have the resources and the energy to make a difference in the lives of the people around us.  I pray we will spend some time with God that might be out side of the norm and listen intently to what God wants to say.  Guidance.  Strength.  Courage.  Vision.  Love.  Peace. 

Let God make your snow day (or whatever day you are having) an extra special one by spending time with Him and by gaining new perspective.

God’s way is perfect. All the Lord’s promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection.

No comments:

make adjustments so you can thrive

There’s more to being a Christian than just getting by.  Many of the people you and I deal with are just surviving.  Go...