Monday, October 20, 2014

some things about our God


Sunday at The Community Fellowship we finished up the EVERY 1 MATTERS series.  In the last 8 weeks we have talked through the truth of Scripture that declares we have value, we are important and we belong to God.  Facts are facts.

There were several pieces of being the people of God that stuck out to me in this last message, and I would like to share some of those with you.  They not only stand out to me, but they declare things true and must be responded to.

My people will again live under my shade. They will flourish like grain and blossom like grapevines. They will be as fragrant as the wines of Lebanon.

There are lots of things going on in this verse, and one of them stands up and shouts at me.  It is about the shade.  I like the idea of shade as it reminds me a hot day that seems to be melting me with the heat of the sun.  Yet I step under a tree with branches, and there seems to be a breeze as I step under the tree.

The shade gives relief and the ability to think further about the day.  Shade gives protection and reminds me of the protection that God gives me.  Then it happens.  When I chose to step out of the shade, the sun is hot and bearing down on me once again.

By doing life without God and outside His protection I miss God’s best for my life.  We lose perspective and protection when God is not part of the equation.  That is awesome truth that gives us reward by making the best choice.

Whenever Aaron and his sons bless the people of Israel in my name, I myself will bless them.

This is good stuff.  In the Old Testament God spoke through the times God blessed people through the priest as seen in Aaron and his sons.  We do the same thing today.  As we bless people God works through us to bless those same people.  We become a conduit that God uses.

We don’t speak for ourselves.  We speak for God.  It is vital that we allow Him to work through our lives.  By connecting ourselves to God we are used by Him to bless others!

In the same way, he took the cup of wine after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood. Do this to remember me as often as you drink it.”

But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people.

Both those verses speak to the covenant that God makes with us, His people.  His promises cannot be broken, and they go deep in to the future.

Our future is clearly set by God and fully secure.  We can enjoy His protection and peace each day as well as bless others in big ways.  To be His people and for Him to be our God is a big deal.  Claim it.   Live in it.  Share it with others!

I will give them hearts that recognize me as the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me wholeheartedly.

No comments:

responding to the hatred

Today I share with you an article from one of my favorite writers and speakers, Margaret Feinberg.   In this article she shares insight ...