Wednesday, March 4, 2015

seeing


What keeps you from having good eyesight?  There are all kinds of things that keep us from being able to see well.  Some times it is sickness that makes our eyes not work properly.  Some times it is our perception that keeps us from seeing.  Yet there are things that won’t even allow what we see to make it through to our brain.  Seeing is important!

A few years ago I visited an eye doctor who told me because I am getting older my sight is getting a bit worse each year.  Last year it got worse, and I talked to my personal doctor.  It was determines that I have some blood sugar problems that might be blurring my vision. 

Reading glasses have helped some, but I continue to notice that I cannot see as I used it.  Often it is frustrating.  At times I have imagined what it must be like to lose your sight, or to be blind.  I have even read some accounts of people who have never been able to see and how their other sense have been heightened.  Can you even imagine what it must be like for a person who has always been blind and how awesome it must be the first time they see.

Can I improve my vision?  There are some things I can do.  The thought can be some cool glasses that made me look cool, but that’s not going to help much.  Turning my thinking and my attention to seeing spiritually brings this even closer to home.  What is it that keeps us from seeing what God wants us to see?

Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

Satan’s objective is to keep us from seeing God.  He tries to either keep us blind or to distract us.  Yet our gracious God is opening our eyes and giving us the ability to see all the time. 

What we listen to and look at we become like.  Look to God and follow God … you will become more like God.  It is then that we will see more of what God wants us to see.

Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light.

Admit it.  Sometimes our eyes are bad.  Because of physical problems we need to go see a doctor to have our vision fixed, our ability to see restored or corrected.  Sometimes this comes with glasses, other times with medicine, and it may even take surgery.

Much the same is true for us spiritually.  We need God to change how we see and what we see.  Our hearts and our minds will often keep us from seeing life and situations that God desires us to see.  Focusing on God is vital to our Christian growth and our coming closer to God.

I cannot imagine what life is like to be blind, yet when someone who has not seen before sees, it is awesome to hear what they have to say and to experience their emotions.  They have never seen color or the ocean or mountains, and when they see, it is a whole new world.

Helen Keller couldn’t see or hear, yet if you read some of her works, you will be amazed at what she did see.  How is that?  She allowed God to fill her heart and life with what He wanted her to see.  I long for seeing like that!

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

May God help us see as we have never seen before.  May our lives help others see God in all His grace and beauty.  I pray we will literally begin seeing in greatly ways!

NOTE: some of this was shared in November of 2013.

No comments:

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...