Thursday, May 5, 2016

why today is so important to me



Today is set aside as the “National Day of prayer”, and in communities around our country there special events, services, and more to help people who pray focus on praying for our nation and it’s leaders as well as our communities and leaders.  For a very long time I have been sharing the fact that too many Christians will say, “I’m praying for you” and forget to pray or just don’t pray at all.  We must pray.  This is our direct line to God.  Jesus modeled, and we have the privilege and responsibility to pray.

A few people including myself have called this #STOPandPRAY so that when we see or hear a need we stop and pray at that moment.  Further, when we stop and pray for someone in particular we may have a profound impact on their life for Jesus.  Prayer matters.  Spend some time today praying or even attending a special event for the “National Day of Prayer”.

Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.

James 5:16  NLT
Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.

Today is also my dad’s birthday.  One of my heroes, he is.  One of the greatest counselors in the world, he is.  One of the wisest men and best friends anyone could have, he is.  I have to give a shout out to my dad, Richard Harrison, and I also want to praise God for knowing what myself and brothers, Steve and Ric, needed in a father.  We really are blessed.  If you are reading this and know our dad, you know how right this is.  If you see him today or know him on Facebook, please wish him a very happy birthday.

Listen to your father, who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother when she is old.

Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

I close with just one more thought that runs deep for me.  It was almost seven months ago that my mom passed away.  This Sunday is Mother’s Day.  Maybe I don’t need to say more. 

Thank you, God, for your blessings.  Thank you that we have the honor of connecting with and spending time with you daily through prayer.  Help me and others to see your goodness and to cherish the moments with you and with those you placed in our lives.

No comments:

what are your hungry for!

Some things we want are really bad?   Are the things you want the best things?   Are you pursuing God or one of millions of other things...