Monday, July 11, 2016

hope in light of recent tragedies


Psalm 39:7  NLT
And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you.

We live in a day that is filled with darkness and often fueled by hatred.  That is why truth must be shared.  I am not directly talking about right and wrong, but what we must hear is why we are here and where must we go.

It is sickening to see the lives lost, the pain caused and the deep confusion spread across our community, our families and across our nation.  One day we are celebrating this nation and its independence, and the next we are mourning the death of police officers and citizens in not one but three locations.  There are reports of even more terror around the world.  The pain grows deeper.

Our only answer, our only hope is Jesus.  One week ago I asked our church last consider the fact that America must return to God.  That invitation remains true, but yesterday I reminded each of us that we too must need return to God.

Maybe you have never known Him, or maybe you have known Him for a very long time.  There is still place, time and need to return.  It is easy to get on the wrong road.  The decisions we make can sidetrack us for short or long periods, and as I said last week our God is not a puppet master making us conform or do only what He wants.  No, our God is a kind, compassion and sovereign God inviting us to know and enjoy His presence.

Psalms 139:7-12  NASB
Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 10  Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me. 11  If I say, “Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night,” 12  Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You.

God is here.  God is ready to embrace you and me.  I pray we move even more in His direction now and every day.

We cannot get away from God.  That sounds kind of weird, but it is true as well.  His heart is for us.  He is ready to forgive and to embrace us.  This is a place of forgiveness and restoration.  This is where we find peace in the middle the terror and purpose in the middle of chaos.  Won’t you come home to God?  He has prepared a place for you, and He loves you!

Psalm 34:8  NASB
O taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!

No comments:

God is always working

Our youth from church have been on a retreat at the lake this week.   The last two nights I have listened to some friends share their st...