Friday, July 22, 2016

I will miss my friend Eldred Davis



The day ended with a meeting with many people from our community coming together to discuss barriers to peace in our community and to pray.  People from the law enforcement agencies as well as from many places of our city and county joined in this meeting.  It was eye opening as well as encouraging as it ended with us praying together and over those who were present from the county sheriff’s office and the city police department.  It was a moving meeting.

The day began with an early breakfast meeting with some men from our church.  I love these guys and so proud of them.  It was at breakfast that I got a phone call that changed much for me.

A friend’s daughter called and told me her dad was critically ill and headed to the hospital.  Eldred Davis is that friend.  I have known Eldred for 15 years and had the honor of serving with him through Raceway Ministries.  He has been a close friend and helped with various aspects of ministry around our church.  He passed away yesterday morning.

One phone call changes the day.  Missing my friend will go a long way.  He will be missed by many people.  Eldred touched many lives.  He made a difference, and I am grateful for him in my life.

Thus I close with a few verses running through my mind:

A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.

John 15:13  NLT
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

And in the end I know that being a friend is a big and important deal.  May we live to be an encourager and to love as a great friend.  All these are from Proverbs 27

Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.

9  NLT
The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.

10  NLT
Never abandon a friend— either yours or your father’s. When disaster strikes, you won’t have to ask your brother for assistance. It’s better to go to a neighbor than to a brother who lives far away.

17  NLT
As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.


NOTE: Pray for the family of Eldred Davis as he passed away yesterday; his funeral will be Saturday at 11am and visitation today from 6 to 8pm at Fort Trial Baptist Church.  

No comments:

plan to trust God

The old saying “if you fail to plan, you plan to fail” is totally correct.  As we come to end of a full and blessed week I want to take ...