Thursday, August 18, 2016

I am not ready for this


Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

I am really not ready.  Yeah, we have prepared for these days, worked hard, raised our kids with as much wisdom and direction as we have had.  But I am still not ready.

This will be my final post for this week because tomorrow our middle daughter Ruth moves in to her college dorm in Williamsburg, Virginia at the College of William and Mary, a 4 hour drive from our home.  Julie and I will be in parent/family orientation for the next couple days.  I am still not ready for this.

Last year at this time we were helping our oldest, Rebecca, move in to her dorm at Ferrum College, a 30 minute drive from our house.  Rebecca has done well, worked full time this summer with the catering department at the college, and she recently moved in to her new dorm.  She is now a senior seeking her bachelor’s degree in accounting.  We are super proud of Rebecca, and we are praying for her, her boyfriend Josh (who is in the Army) and for all God has for them in the future.

That still doesn’t mean that I am ready for this.  Ryan our youngest is in 8th grade and is marching in the high school band.  He is doing very well.  My awesome wife Julie just began her new job as a first grade teacher at the primary school near our house.  Pray for Julie as this has been stressful and very busy.  But that still doesn’t mean I am ready for the rest of this.

Ruth will be the furthest away.  She will not have a car with her.  Her roommate seems to be a great young lady from northern Virginia.  The community and college life in the area makes it an excellent place to learn and grow.  She is ready and tells us she is ready.  That doesn’t mean I am ready.

That is why I have to lean on the one who will take care of our daughter much better than I can.  God is her hope and mine, but I am still not ready. 

When I am not ready, I have to remember that God is always ready, and our God is always in control.  We have done our best to see that our children know and trust God and are ready to make good decisions.

Maybe this is why I wrote earlier this week about emotions and listening to the voice of God.  Not maybe but definitely.  That still doesn’t mean that I am ready to drop our baby Ruth off at college and not see her for several weeks.  This will be a great experience for her.  There will be lots of learning, so many new friends and more.

My prayer for all three of my children is this…

3 John 1:4  NASB
I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.

I don’t have to be ready for this, and in fact, if I am ready, I may not be.  We pray for the people and situations that strain us the most.  My kids and family get most of my prayers.  They stretch my faith, and they also give me the greatest joy.

There will be more stories ahead, and I am ready to see my kids succeed.  My job now is much like it was when God blessed us with each of them.  My job is to let God work, to trust God and to see what God is going to do next.

No, I’m not ready, but God is!

No comments:

TUESDAY... thoughts on being thankful

It is almost Thanksgiving.  At least it is almost the day where the people of the United States of America celebrate wh...