Monday, August 22, 2016

preparing them for the future


Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Yes, I shared the verse above and the verse below last week.

3 John 1:4  NASB
I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.

This past weekend has been one of those times in the life of parents that we smile lots and cry too.  Julie and I really are blessed with 3 incredible children.  Rebecca, Ruth and Ryan have stolen our hearts and made us proud time and time again.

As we dropped Ruth off at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg it was evident once again that we were going to be proud of and praying for her.  The college campus is beautiful.  The orientation process was excellent.  There is more to come.  What she has shared with us make us glad this was her choice for the next step of life and education.

When we left on Saturday, all 3 of us were crying, and Ruth gave her mom a letter.  I will not recount for the next few miles or the conversation or even the contents of the letter.  What I will share is that this baby Ruth of ours is a great person.  They were not just words.  They came from her heart.

Once thing that I have asked, examined, digested, thought through a lot and more is that helping our kids be prepared for what is ahead.  Several people have said we have done a good job.  I am humbled.  What Ruth said was similar.  I am still in awe of all that we experienced.

To help someone be prepared is a big deal.  We may just be preparing them for a test.  We may be helping them prepare for something like a 5k race.  It could be many different things.

But to prepare our children for life is a very big deal, and I am just praying that what we have done is enough.  We have shown our kids God.  We have expected them to reach for God and to allow Him to embrace their lives.  We have talked about the easy things and the hard things of life.  We have been through so much.

The question is are they ready.  My answer is only this: God is in control.  My job is changing.  Ryan is still home, and we have a long way to go.  Rebecca is in her senior year of college, and Ruth is beginning her first year.  These girls make me proud to be their dad, and I want them to be as successful as possible, always safe and taken care of, experiencing the best of life and so much more.

And I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will guide you with knowledge and understanding.



NOTE:

Tomorrow is our annual Red Cross blood drive at The Community.  Please join me and others from 2 to 7pm and give blood.

No comments:

TUESDAY... thoughts on being thankful

It is almost Thanksgiving.  At least it is almost the day where the people of the United States of America celebrate wh...