Tuesday, September 20, 2016

it is time to show compassion



This is the part of this series that speaks to my passion and heart about The Community Fellowship.  10 years ago this church was formed to serve those least served, to accept those not always accepted and to always love no matter the case.  That seems to me to be compassion.

Jesus lived this out.  We must too.  We must demonstrate the love of God to our community and much further, and the way we see this most is through what we call ARK’s or acts of random kindness.

Matthew 25:34-40  NLT
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ 37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

To have compassion on someone is to share with them the love and goodness of our God.  The story of the Good Samaritan that Jesus told is a great illustration.  The lady who touched Jesus’ robe and was healed from a bleeding illness is another excellent example.

Jesus’ life and work was interrupted often, and it cost him much to show compassion.  Yet this was His heart and must be ours as well.  Seriously, the closer we get to God we will care more about the people we encounter in life.

Caring for another person or a situation is not liking a post, but it is loving a person!  Compassion is best seen in action and not in words.  The more I obsess over social media, the more selfish I become and the less I care about people.  But the closer I get to Jesus, the less I care about me and the more I care about others.

The verses above share that when we meet needs we are literally serving God.  By making a difference in the world, by showing compassion on others, we show people who our God is and how good and gracious God really is.

No comments:

TUESDAY... thoughts on being thankful

It is almost Thanksgiving.  At least it is almost the day where the people of the United States of America celebrate wh...