Tuesday, October 11, 2016

I miss my mom


For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well.

Psalm 139:13  NASB
For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.

Today is the first anniversary of my mom’s death.  The verses above remind me of how my mom blessed and guided my life.  She was and continues to be a blessing to my life and to our family.  Thus, today’s e-devotion is personal, and thank you to all who have supported my family.  There is more to come.

A letter to my mom …

Dear mom,

In just a couple hours from the time I am writing this it will have been one year since you left our family.  I really don’t like that you left, but I understand that this was the time God chose for you to die.  Heaven must be incredible, and one day I will get to know that and enjoy it as you have the last year.

There are a few memories that stick out to me that mean so much.  They have helped me deal with not being able to talk with you. 

When I was very young, I am guessing 4 or 5 years old, I remember sitting in your lap and hearing you talk about faith.  It was in our living room at the house near Patrick Henry Elementary.  Only a few memories from that house stick in my mind, but there are several that have you in them.  My earliest memories include you shaping my life, loving me and being the strength behind our family.

I didn’t like school very much, at least until the last few years of high school, but you were there.  Programs you attended, games you attended, awards assemblies you were there, when I was sick you picked me up… you were there, and that sticks out in my mind.  One memory that I have was going to one of the “cheerful church changers” meeting (your friends got together monthly, and this was when I was maybe 8 years old).  I remember people laughing and having lots of fun.  That was at Evelyn’s house.  Some other memories stick out to, and I am grateful for each one.

This is not going to be a long letter.  My mind is full, but I want to keep it somewhat short.  Plus, this isn’t that easy.

One of my memories from the last week or so of your life has been one of the most treasured, but there are many memories from my trips to Oklahoma in August and September last year.  A couple mornings while you were in the hospital were so sweet.  You would wake up most mornings that last week about 4am and be very talkative.  Unlike later in the day, you were sharp and had great clarity.  We talked about so many things.  We talked about our family, my kids and Julie.  We talked about trips we had been on and events that stood out to you.  We also talked about your faith and how convinced you were that God loved you and that you were ready to go to heaven.  I cherish those conversations and would trade nothing for them.

You were brave.  You made the decision not to fight.  I never thought you were giving up but with wisdom making the decision that you spoke of before.  If I remember correctly, the DR said you could get better, but it would take lots of medicine and lots of hard work over lots of months ahead.  The biggest thing I remember the DR saying was that it would take many months for you to get back to the place you were just a month or so before.  It’s OK that you chose to go to heaven, but you are missed.

Today, we remember.  I am so proud of and grateful for dad.  He is living life.  He is enjoying himself.  I am so glad that he is doing so well (even if he is spending our inheritance… hahahaaaa).  Ric, Steve, dad and myself are doing well, and we are so blessed to have had you in our lives for as long as we did.

I miss you and look forward to seeing you again one day.  I love you very much.

Your favorite son, Michael

My mom was an incredible lady.

Proverbs 31:28-30  NASB
Her children rise up and bless her; Her husband also, and he praises her, saying: “Many daughters have done nobly, But you excel them all.”  Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.

No comments:

with God all things are possible

Luke 18:27   NLT He replied, “What is impossible for people is   possible with God.” Our lives either take away from or pour in to...