Wednesday, October 26, 2016

who do you have a vested interest in


The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.

I continue to learn that verse is so true.  Thank you, God, for correcting my wrongs, remembering what I forget, filling in the gaps, nudging me forward and being so gracious.  God really is good.

Today. I would like to give you a little advise as well as some observations.

When you are to preach at a wedding that is a long way from home, like 3 hours, don’t forget to pack your dress shirt with your suit, tie and shoes.  Honestly, I forgot my shirt, and it was great to find a menswear store not far from the hotel that had the exact white shirt I wear.  Also, realize that your son as he grows up may wear a similar shirt.  When you see your son’s shirt in with the clothes in the car, don’t assume that it is your shirt.  Enough said.

The plans for our daughter’s wedding went very well, and our family is grateful for all those who played a part in making the day special and to all who blessed them with the cards and letters.  It was evident that God directed their steps and ours.  Prayers were answered.

I stood in front of Josh and Rebecca during the ceremony with so many things running through my head.  Of coarse I asked them, quietly where no one else could hear, if they were sure that they wanted to go through with the wedding.  Both of them said yes and with a smile on their faces.  Amazingly enough I help back most of the tears during the ceremony.  One of the points that hit me was the fact that there stood my daughter, our oldest child, and looking at her were two important people, the two men who should love her the most.  That would be Josh, her new husband, and me, her father.  I further recognized the spiritual truth that in marriage you take on the responsibility of others and some are relieved of their responsibility.  That is why I pray protection and great wisdom over Rebecca and Josh beginning their lives together.

During the ceremony I said something about the people here with us and that each has a “vested interested in their success”.  It was profound how very true that is.  Parents, grandparents, a few very close friends and other family were there.  Most of these have been part of Rebecca and Josh’s lives for a very long time.  Our desire has been and will continue to be their success.  We want them to enjoy life, to see good days and to be blessed!  That is why we care.

That is where I am going to stop for now.  Many things took place in planning, preparing for and being part of our daughter’s wedding.  But nothing was any more important than the important role that Julie and I have had the responsibility to place in Rebecca’s life.  We are blessed.  Faith in God has played a large part in this investment.  We trust that their faith will carry them together and separate through all that is ahead.  None of us are alone.  In birth we are together.  All through life there are important people with us.  God will never leave us.

Who is today that you must recognize as having a very special place in your life?  Who is it that you must continue to invest in so that they will be successful?  What are some of the things, even the seemingly small ones that matter a lot that you must not miss?

Keep on investing in the lives of others.

Philippians 4:6-7 NLT
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

MONDAY... thoughts on being thankful

It is thanksgiving week.   This is a time we set aside to celebrate history and to be thankful.   What are you thankful for, and by the...