So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.
Thursday of Holy Week is one of the best known and one of my favorites. That is because this day is the reminder of Jesus with His disciples, washing their feet and guiding them on a new journey as a servant leader.
It also is the first observance of what we know as the Lord’s Supper. With His closest friends and followers Jesus shared the meaning of the blood and body that we celebrate with communion. In Jesus’ body and blood we find the forgiveness of sin and the redemption we all need.
I am overcome with emotion when I think about the conversations that took place around that table. What I wouldn’t give to be there.
Great question. What would you do if you knew you had 24 hours to live? That is what Jesus knew. It was His last day, and this was His destiny. He was willing to step in where we couldn’t go.
John describes this last day in ways that the other Gospel writers didn’t. Jesus told them what was ahead. He was honest and strong. He confronted the accuser. He even gave direction to the disciples that needed to know that grace comes in to play even when they denied Jesus.
Yes, that last comment was about Peter. Peter, James and John were the three closest to Jesus, and this day, Thursday of Holy Week, must have been big time hard for them.
May we know Jesus like they knew Jesus. Ahead is the cross and the resurrection. Past that is abundant life. That is open for all of us. Thank you, Jesus for the way!
John 14:6-7 NLT
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”

Comments