I continue to share a message series at The Community Fellowship titled “Classics” as we examine the hymns we used to sing a lot. These and more help build firm faith in touch times, and today we looked at “What A Friend We Have In Jesus”.
This hymn was written by Jospeh Scriven in 1855 as a message of comfort to his mom who was back in his native Ireland which he was in Canada. His life has many difficulties that brought him grief, but this hymn was and is laced with the fact of who Jesus is.
May we be a friend like Jesus. Following are some of the verses I used during the message to remind me of how Jesus is our friend and how we can be a friend to others!
Matthew 11:28-30 NASB
“Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is comfortable, and My burden is light.”
Psalm 55:22 NASB
Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.
That truth is amazing because a good friend helps carry your burden and even makes your burden lighter.
John 15:13 NLT
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
No greater love than doing for others and thinking less of yourself. That makes us more and more like Jesus.
Proverbs 27:9 NLT
The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume and incense.
Show up and share your heart. God will use your story, your experience, your learning to help others push through and even to experience God as you have.
Matthew 14:27 NASB
But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
That’s one of those points I don’t want to miss, and I don’t want you to miss this. When Jesus shows up, our fears will fall away. His presence brings us peace. His strength cures our weakness. So, take courage because God is always with you!
Proverbs 17:17 NASB
A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity.
That is maybe my favorite verse about being a friend. It makes me want to strive to be that kind of friend because that is what our God and our friend Jesus has done for us!
Finally, we celebrated Mother’s Day which also reminded me that often our moms taught us how to know what a friend is and how to be a friend. We are blessed!

Comments