Skip to main content

hero


Let me introduce you to two people.  I have some new heroes.


Matthew 23:11  NLT

The greatest among you must be a servant.


I walked in to the room this last Monday night before the event started.  Many of the helpers for this event, an FCA event at our local community college, were busy getting things prepared as it was the first day of school and all student athletes and coaches were invited.  Before we knew it well over 120 of them arrived.


But in the process I observed some of them while I was helped with the meal and various things around the huge room near the pond on campus.


First there was this guy.  I believe he plays baseball.  He has lots of hair and even growing a beard.  I am guessing this is his first day of college after graduating from high school this last spring.  I was carrying cases of water from one place in the room to where they would be served.  He jumped up and grabbed the case I left behind, and when we arrived at the location the water would stay, he asked what else he could could.  A smile on his face.  Prepared to help some more.  He was eager to serve.  That thrilled me because you don’t see that a lot.


Let me tell you about another.  A few minutes in to the event and after the meal had started a second person stood out.  The FCA leader helped the event begin and had announced that there were some Bibles available to anyone that would like one.  There I saw the second person, a young lady.  She plays softball and got up from her seat with 15 or 20 other softball ladies.  She made her way rather quickly to the stage area of the room and asked for a Bible and if she could get a few for some friends.  Before long she had led some others to get one of the cool FCA Bibles.  It was then I realized here is another servant, and this young lady realizes that a Bible just might help someone step up.


Both of these student athletes are young.  I would guess 19 or so.  Both were eager to serve.  Both knew the power that many in the room may have over looked.  Serving is the way to live.


I know their coaches.  Before the night was over both coaches had pointed out these two, the young baseball guy and the softball girl, and said those are some of their leaders that they are excited about.


It hit me.  Those are some of my heroes.  The servants.  Those who step up.  Leading is not about standing at the front.  Leading is about doing what is needed to help others.  Choose to serve.


A Hero is a servant.  Be one.  It will make a difference.  In you and in others.


1 Peter 4:10  NLT

God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Francis Chan's "Forgotten God" (brand new book)

One of the most powerful preachers, writers and leaders of our time, in my opinion, is Francis Chan.  His first book, Crazy Love , revolutionized my thoughts about God's love as well as my interacting with God.  Now it is time for a brand new book from Chan being released tomorrow, September 1st.  The book is Forgotten God .   This is a phenomenal book about the power that Christians and the church can and must tap into.  All of it is within the Holy Spirit.  Francis talks about the power that was seen in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit began to move among people.  It is true that many have avoided or maybe forgotten what the Holy Spirit is all about.   And like the Savior who poured out His life and blood so we have reason to rejoice, we were made to lay down our lives and give until it hurts.  We are most alive when we are loving and actively giving of ourselves because we were made to do these things.  It is when we live like this that the Spirit of God moves and ac...

inspiration from C.S. Lewis

There are many people, past and present, who get our attention by what they write or say or share.  For me C.S. Lewis is one of those.  He was a prolific writer who continues to grab the attention of thinkers from many different points of view. Lewis first grabbed my attention when I was in 5 th grader, and our teacher, Mrs. Foy, shared The Chronicles of Narnia with our class.  It was a powerful time that this dreamer opened doors to thinking like I had never lived before.  He wrote of faith, of far off places and of strong figures who found their character rooted deep in God. C.S. Lewis was born in 1898 and died in 1963, 7 years before I was born.  It wasn’t until his 30’s that under the influence of his friend Tolkien that he came to be a Christian.  He was raised in a traditional church going home, turned away from God as an Atheist in his teen years and through trying to stay away from God and faith returned to God with...

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!