As I sat across the table from a young man I have known for several years I was struck by the winds of emotion that he was dealing with. By his own description and confession, his emotion were all over the place and out of control.
My heart goes out to him and so would like to take his pain, or at least help make it easier.
Matthew 9:36 NLT
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
Much better than me, Jesus knew people. People haven’t changed much from Jesus’ day and till this one. There is still pain and passion. There are still consequences and challenges. There are still times of anger and anxiety.
Jesus knew people and was willing to do something about it. His words and his acts of kindness left people changed for eternity.
So, how can we help those we come in contact with? That is a big question, and let me begin by saying I am pretty good with people. Yet I am not a doctor or counselor or physiologist. I am a pastor who loves people because God has called me to do just that.
First, be a listener. You don’t have all the answers. Don’t pretend like you do. Just listen.
Second, be careful what you say. Give people what will matter after you leave. I find that Scripture and God’s truth sticks around much longer than my thoughts.
Third, be there. People need people. Just show up and be there for them.
This guy sitting across from me hadn’t planned to spend time with me, but God arranged a few hours together. It was in the middle of a storm that he is going through. For this young man the dan began with anger and confusion, moved on to struggle and being out of control.
He needed me to listen. He needed me to reassure him that God is working and speaking. He needed me to be there.
You will make a difference when you show up for others. I learned one ago that “whoever shows up most in someone’s life wins the battle of influence”. And I want to influence them for Jesus, the one who matters most (that quote is from Matthew Barnett of the LA Dream Center).

Comments